The market segment that I have chosen to pursue is college/university students and luxurious spenders.
1) The three people I have chosen to interview that fit my segment are:
-Mathew, student studying at Library West
-Alexander, student waiting in line for advising
-Carly, student hanging out at the HUB
3) -Matthew: Matthew said that to him it was price mattered to him the most, he could see himself losing the charger and would rather pay less for a lower quality charger that he may end up purchasing more than once.
-Alexander: When asked Alex said that the amount of charge the portable charger had was the most important to him. He's on the go frequently moving between classes and would rather have something that would last all day, but maybe more expensive so that he wouldn't have to recharge it during the day.
-Carly: For Carly it was both charge and quality. Carly said that she enjoys studying outdoors in places like Plaza so having a high quality charger that would last a long time is key to her being able to finish her assignments.
4) After interviewing the three students, they made it apparent that they believed that most students they knew would prefer to purchase the device online, as there is a larger selection of choices, however, one of the students preferred to purchase in person despite the benefits he outlined for buying online. All of the students interviewed would prefer to pay cash outright for the device, as the device would be fairly cheap and it becomes too much of a hassle to finance.
5) What matters the most to the customers is the functionality the device. If the device works well, has longevity, and doesn't damage the computer's battery then it was a good purchase. On the other hand, a faulty, or cheap device that either doesn't work at all or fails to work over a period of time would make the customers believe it was a bad decision to purchase the portable charger.
6) All together each of the interviewees believed that there was a real need for the portable charger, thinking that many students on campus could have use for such a device. There is really no where relevant to buy such a device but the need is overwhelming.
7) In conclusion, the customers want a high quality device that will last for a long time and not damage the batteries of their computers. All the chargers available are either expensive or low quality so I would describe this segment as in need.
I think you had a really great variety when it came to choosing your interview pool! I didn't agree with what one person said about the price being the only thing that matters. I think your product should be affordable but not the cheapest that there is. Sometimes, people can associate a really low price with low quality and you for sure want your product to be considered high quality. Good job on your post !
ReplyDeleteGreat job interviewing and concluding that there is an overwhelming need for this portable charger product! Quality and price are two huge factors in making a purchase. I think making your product affordable and high quality is vital to making this a successful innovation.
ReplyDeleteHey Joseph,
ReplyDeleteI think your interviews’ summaries were great, while conducting my own research with my interviews, I found very similar results. I personally think there should be a well-balanced line between price and quality because evidently a better quality product might last significantly longer, there is always the chance of losing it before the product actually reaches its full efficiency life. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Joseph!
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post! I really liked how you were able to denote where you found these particular subjects, as it really showed that you went out of your way to find the correct members of your targeted segment. I agree that what matters most to me as a consumer is the functionality of a product; I am in fact trying to get my money's worth! Again, great job.
Hi Joseph,
ReplyDeleteGood job with you post. I really liked how the people you interviewed were scattered and that you did not just go for what was most convenient. My interview kinda reflected the same thing as consumer really do care about quality over price, and sometimes a low price can often make consumers think a product is of low quality. Again, great post.
Hi Joseph! Great idea with using random people, I believe that gives much more authenticity when it comes to interviews. The price point seems to be the biggest issue for your buyers so balancing the quality and affordability will be the biggest issue for your product. For electronics I personally would be more comfortable paying more money for a product that would last and not damage my laptop. Great post!
ReplyDelete