Thursday, March 21, 2019

Growing Your Social Capital

There are a multitude of individuals that would be able to provide me with the information necessary to carry out my plans of a marketable, portable computer charger, however there is no one I trust more than Adam Nayfeh. Adam Nayfeh is a member of my fraternity that graduated after my freshman year, yet left a lasting mark on my academic and professional career. Since graduation, he has been an integral member of a start-up technology firm within the marketing department. With all of his professional knowledge, he has been able to walk me through the aspects of this process that I have yet to familiarize myself with yet.

A friend of mine named Dom who is a year older than I am is a founding member of a new tech company named RDM. He is only a Junior engineering major here at UF and works in the same company as Adam Nayfeh. Dom's job within RDM is to take people's new inventions and mold them into products that can be brought to the market. He informed me of the barriers that are present when taking an idea to a prototype and finally to a final product. With his wisdom, I will be able to foresee these barriers to entry and be proactive rather than reactive.

I reached out to the manager of a Verizon distributor in my hometown that is a family friend hoping he would be able to describe the process they use to distribute their goods to their consumers. I was hoping he would be able to provide me with some insight that would be able to help me with my own tech product. He outlined the entire process from the external supplier of materials, to the supplier, then the manufacturer and distributor, and lastly the final consumer. Knowing this information will absolutely provide me with the tools necessary to effectively bring my product to the market.


3 comments:

  1. Hey! It's awesome that you have so many connections that could help your product actually succeed. I especially think it is awesome that you know someone else who goes to UF and is an entrepreneur himself. That could definitely help you figure out how exactly to go about your process as an entrepreneur as well! It sounds like you have a good network that you can turn to when you need tips and tricks. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Impressive friends you have! Thats awesome to be able to rekindle those connections and use them to your advantage. That's what networking is all about. Great work. It seems like you got a lot out of these conversations and got more insight into the logistics of distribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joseph,
    It's really impressive that you have so many friends that can be considered experts within your industry. The fact they are your close friends make them an even better resource as you can have honest face-to-face meetings with them. I definitely think that these connections are going to help you out further out in the future as an entrepreneur. Good job!

    ReplyDelete