Friday, April 12, 2019

Reading Reflection 3


Cognitive Surplus By Clay Shirky
1)      The main theme about this book is the concept of cognitive surplus, an idea about how people can better society when correctly using the excess of time, technology and connections that they encounter. This is coupled with his 4 different types of sharing of information and how we can learn more from each other than ever before.
2)      As we continue to go through this course, we continue to see different themes from this book that connect very nicely. The first is the need to constantly grow and learn from other people. Throughout this book they emphasize the need to take the information from technology and others to make the best possible outcome. In this class we are doing much of the same, utilizing the technology that we have to discuss and get feedback from others.
3)      I think that because of the discussion Shirky makes based on the types of sharing, I would have students identify different ways in which they can utilize these within their own business concepts. Of course, they can pair this and take it a step farther by applying it to different business if they would like to as well.
4)      The more and more that we get caught up in social media, I think we begin to get wrapped up in the drama and insecurities surrounding it. Instead of doing this, Shirky makes a case for the benefits of social media and how we can continue to encourage each other and push each other to new heights. I think this is a crucial step in the story of all of us as humans and critical if one day we are going to solve the current problems in society that we have.   


2 comments:

  1. Hello hello!
    I think your post was really good written and it had very descriptive answers. I picked another book to read, and I was still able to understand the importance of it. I also really liked your idea for an activity. I think that it is a very interactive one would definitely help the participants learn the important parts of the book. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joseph,
    I really liked you post as it reflected nicely on the reading to an extent of me being able to understand the meaning and message. I completely agree with the idea of us becoming more effective with our free time and utilizing this on getting better at learning from the information that technology gives us. I think your assignment to the class is also really relevant as it would help students understand the concept better.

    ReplyDelete