Friday, February 22, 2019

Reading Reflection

The reading that I chose to analyze was Steve Job's biography by Walter Isaacson. Easily the most surprising thing about him was his change in personality and the many 'phases' he endured during late high school. For example, Jobs was known for his varying exotic diets and his thorough drug use as teenager. Although having many hindrances and harsh situations presented to him, he still came out on top through his incessant work ethic and admirable creativity - both being characteristics that I deeply admire about Steve Jobs. The darkest parts of his life resided in his personal affairs. What I find least admirable about Steve Jobs is his relationship between his wife and many girlfriends; Jobs vehemently denied that his girlfriend's child was his, despite having been with her for five years on and off. Perhaps his greatest moment of adversity was, sadly, the start of his end. Jobs first learned of his cancer (a rare cancer named islet cell neuroendocrine tumor) during a routine exam in 2003. The discovery of his cancer caused him to question his mortality, and proceeded to go to Stanford for a commencement speech: his speech is said to be one of the greatest commencements ever given. Steve had a huge technological competence in design and innovation. One part of the reading that I found confusing was his thinking process in naming the company Apple. It doesn't make sense how a business name of a fruit can be so successful. If I could ask him anything it would be what makes him the happiest and if he can do anything over again what would he do differently. I think that he felt hard work was necessary to succeed and I would say that yes I do share that same opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joseph,
    Really cool post. I found it interesting that Steve Jobs had some very abnormal personality traits, but I also think this is part of the reason that he was so successful as a entrepreneur. I think especially the trait of thinking that you are above other people is very normal for entrepreneurs as they find this made up fact motivating towards achieving their goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joseph!
    I also chose this biography and I was just amazed as you are. There were so many things that happened to Steve Jobs while he was launching his company that I would've never imagined. Something that I really didn't like was the fact that he had those affairs but that is something that I wouldn't like on anyone. Affairs and scandals aside, I think he went through a lot to get to where he is and that's really admirable. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this reflection, and I feel like you really grasped the meaning behind the book. Steve’s life was unlike most people’s, and it’s amazing to be able to look into that. I particularly appreciate the part that confused you most, because I often wonder how a name si unrelated to the actual product can become synonymous with the technological innovation that it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joseph! Great choice with the book. After watching the movie "Jobs" it got me interested in his life and it is an interesting journey for him! It seems like with many entrepreneurs Jobs suffered in his personal life in order to grow his business. Ray Kroc also suffered the same way. It seems like many of the more successful people have to make sacrifices that seem unreal to most people.

    ReplyDelete